I'm sorry.. BANNED?

Discussion in 'The Cesspool' started by stefanw1337, Mar 6, 2014.

1. stefanw1337

stefanw1337 New Member

So yeah, I hope this topic can be discussed. I heard Towelliee himself really can't talk much about it. But I think the reason for the ban is the donator giveaways, and some shit about a law that they claimed he broke.
    There's alot of rumors, and I kinda want to kill off the stuff that's not correct. But I'm not able to do it myself. And I guess Towelliee is the only one with the answer to it all? Well, I'm gonna break out what I heard, will he really get a $500 000 fine for this? There's also some mentioning another gamble related giveaway/auction previously that people have said he's also broken a law.

Is this really Ducksauce fault for finding this to be illegal, and notified his viewers, that then some of those viewers reported Towellie(and others?), Twitch panicked and closed down those they got reports for?

What information do you guys have about this and what crazy shit have you heard?

I hope this post doesn't get deleted and muted, people need to get to know what is going on. Some people have paid a few subscriptions at $4.99, that they don't get anything for right now(even though there isn't anyone saying Tow MUST stream everyday for them monies, but they probably expect it since he has been streaming every day).
  2. Darkvader

Darkvader New Member

Its against the terms of service from what ive heard. Hope he can get cleared of everything. I just want to support a streamer that is a great person in RL, and supporting him doing what he loves and is great at. Hes a true inspiration!
  3. stefanw1337

stefanw1337 New Member

I would think that a violation of the law is a violation of the ToS, yes. As the law is above the Twitch ToS. And that is what the channel is banned for and that's the text that is coming up when trying to access the channel. I've been looking into ToS since then, and found §12, f to be this:
    "The Twitch Services may include interactive areas or services (“ Interactive Areas ”) in which you or other users may create, post or store content, messages, materials, data, information, text, music, sound, photos, video, graphics, applications, code or other items or materials on the Twitch Services (“ User Content ” and collectively with Broadcaster Content, “ Content ”). You are solely responsible for your use of such Interactive Areas and use them at your own risk. BY USING THE TWITCH SERVICE, INCLUDING THE INTERACTIVE AREAS, YOU AGREE NOT TO violate any law, contract, intellectual property or other third-party right or commit a tort, and that you are solely responsible for your conduct while on the Twitch Service. You agree that you will abide by these Terms of Service and will not:"
    "f . make unsolicited offers, advertisements, proposals, or send junk mail or spam to other Users of the Twitch Service, including, without limitation, unsolicited advertising, promotional materials, or other solicitation material, bulk mailing of commercial advertising, chain mail, informational announcements, charity requests, petitions for signatures, or any of the foregoing related to promotional giveaways (such as raffles and contests), and other similar activities;"

But I mean everyone is promoting materials, even Swifty, Athene++. Yogscast and Athene is doing charity.. So WTF? Why Tow, why now? I also hope he get's this sorted, he's a real dude. Funny, inspiring and he has his own meanings. I guess the last part of §12, f is meant by sending out mail or spam to other users, which Towelliee doesn't do. Does the subscriber information count as informational announcements?

But I mean he should get warnings before a permanent ban at least(but I believe it is temporarily now), and he must probably stop with the contests and maybe promoting materials(Razer, Amazon++). And then what's up with the streamers advertisements these days, isn't that also under unsolicited advertising or promotional materials?

Source: http://www.twitch.tv/user/legal
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  4. towelliee

towelliee Administrator Staff Member

No I will not be paying 500k or a dime for anything but my taxes this year :) Please don't listen to the hater lawyers on Reddit.

Everything will be fine in the end.

But yes Ducksauce yelling about it being illegal for a good hour did not help. I have spoken to plenty of streamers and they agree. All that does it give people a reason to report. In general any streamer who has done a contest donator giveaway should not be worried but more like be prepared in case shit gets escalated.
  5. stefanw1337

stefanw1337 New Member

Thanks for replying. Yes, but when the channel got banned, where to look? Forums were flooded with peeps, couldn't get in. And only thing I found was Reddit kiddies. And I didn't see you respond to any of that :)

It's good to hear that contest donator giveaways isn't illegal, and hopefully you will return with a bare minimum of a scratch! :)
  6. towelliee

towelliee Administrator Staff Member

Oh it IS illegal lol just can't be done anymore
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  7. Dylan Michael

Dylan Michael New Member

The professional thing to do would have been to get into contact with Twitch, not yell about how you and all your colleagues are doing something illegal. The only thing that will do is generate drama and headaches for everyone involved. Doesn't seem very mature on Ducksauce's part if that is what happened.
  8. IATAvalanche

IATAvalanche New Member

ducksauce not being mature? what! unheard of!
  9. ProbablyDrunk

ProbablyDrunk New Member

What if you take it to your forums, away from Twitch?
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  10. stefanw1337

stefanw1337 New Member

So that is a question if this is breaking Twitch ToS or also the law. But since Towelliee isn't getting any fines for this, I assume this is only on Twitch's end.

On another note, the stream is BACK! :) Sweet, the weekend is saved.